Saturday, December 20, 2008

God takes care of us ... 1st IUI treatment completed!

I should know better than to stress, God really does take care of us. We were able to get to Seattle just fine and were able to complete our very first ever IUI treatment. I would love to say 1st and last IUI treatment but I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed, plus we want to have a few kids anyway so it is likely we would be back even if this one was successful. :0)

I am about to go into detail so family members who just DON'T want to know or people who get a little grossed out by medical terminology ... don't read below. LOL. I will save the minute details for my girlfriends. That much detail is a bit weird to post on a public form.

We went in to our appointment about a 1/2 hour early since the drive was not as bad as we were anticipating. They put a hospital bracelet on me then sent us over to the lab. This part was a bit awkward. Obviously my husband has to make a "baby making" donation but we just didn't know if I could go in the room with him. (Awkward question to ask.) The lady who showed us back had to call someone and confirm if I could or couldn't go with him. It was fine with some restrictions. The lady no joke said I could go in the room with him as long as "there is no contribution of any fluids”. AWKWARD! I told her "well that's special" and thought in my head, gross. It is just so weird to have to involve others in the possible conception of our child / children. The room had the expected entertainment items in the room and that was that. (I will leave those hilarious detail for my close girlfriends!)

After that strange encounter we went to the main waiting area to pass time until my husbands "baby makers" were processed. They said it would take about 1 1/2 hours. I finished filling out all of our Christmas cards and worked on knitted a scarf to pass the time. Good thing I brought stuff to do because it actually took 2 hours until I was put in a room.

While we were there the finance lady came out and said "Can we see Denny way from here?" She had just heard on the news that 2 buses had collided and their front tiers were now hanging off a I-5 overpass. That was a little scary! I saw it on the news later that night; Seattle hills and snow is not a good combo!

For the IUI treatment they like for your bladder to be full apparently, which I found out by accident when I asked the receptionist were the restroom was. I can not describe how full my bladder was, then to find out I can't go was just awesome. Ha, ha.

My part was supper fast. The nurse came in the room and had me sign a piece of paper confirming that the "baby makers" were my husbands, and then she explained the procedure to me and started. She drew up all 4.8 x 10^6 (apk. 4.8 million, you'd think that would be enough! LOL!) "baby makers" into the catheter (small, stiff tube thing), put in the torture devise (aka. the speculum) with water only mind you (fun, fun), cleaned the cervix with a jumbo q-tip then put the small catheter through the cervix and deposited the "baby makers" closer to their goal. None of it hurt too terribly but the sensation of something being were it shouldn't be is like being kicked from the inside, it makes you cramp a little, very weird feeling. My part took about 5 minutes ... after a 2 hours wait it was very anti-climactic. (No pun intended, ha, ha.) Mikel made a funny comment when the nurse left (I'll share with friends later) and we were on our way home ... and I could finally empty my bladder! Yippee!

The nurse said I can take a pregnancy test in about 2 weeks, so now I just have to relax and wait. Great, that should be fun. I am just so very thankful that we even got to go to Seattle and get the treatment done. I hope for us being pregnant but am glad that we finally were able to complete an actual fertility treatment ... finally! Wish us luck!

No comments: