Sunday, August 23, 2009

Step 3.2 ... another "detour"

GRRR ... another detour in the road.

So, I went in for my "suppression check" (ultrasound to look at my ovaries) the Thursday before last and I had a cyst on my left ovary. They had me come in this last Thursday and the cyst had actually gotten larger instead of smaller so long story short we can't begin our IVF treatment.

When I went in to have the ultrasound this last time the doctor asked "Did you empty your bladder?" to which I replied "Yes, completely". His next response was a bit alarming as he says "oh, that is your cyst, it almost looks like a full bladder". I thought in my head holy crap ... THAT'S HOW BIG IT IS! The cyst is so large it is pushing my uterus out of the way. Fun times. The reason we can't start the rest of the fertility meds is that the cyst would be the only thing that would grow, no eggs would develop. As the nurse put it, all I would get is a really expensive cyst. The doctor decided since I have "young ovaries" that, that is the reason why my body responded the way it did. When they got my blood work back my estrogen was at 700 from the cyst (normal range 25-75 or 200 when ovulating!) Crazy!

We are now going to wait for it to resolve on its own for about a month. I am going on vacation in about 9 days so its fine. Now I can go in the hot tub and have a martini if I want. :o) It is just lame to have another detour in the road on our journey to having kids. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

Catie said...

Wow Mel! That is a detour! I am really surprised. I hope that when it does 'take care of itself' that you aren't in too much pain. I am going to call you today. I need to get a catch up on all of this... that news came after my bridal shower!